Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Top 20 Healing Foods- Flaxseed


 
By now most health-concious people have heard about flaxseed and know of it's health benefits.  It is high in omega-3 fatty acids and fiber.  But did you know that it is also rich in Vibamins B6, E, Folic Acid, Magnesium and phytoestrogens called lignans? Lignans act like estrogen in the body, blocking estrogen receptors on cells and cotnribute to reduced rates of some hormone-related cancers, such as breast cancer.   Just a tablespoon of ground flaxseed provides 2.3 grams of fiber.  Just be sure that your flax seeds are ground.  Your body can't break them down whole.  They will come out the same way they went in and you won't reap the benefits.  You can find them ground just about anywhere.  Bob's Red Mill makes some- I've even seen it at Walmart. You can also find it in the bulk section of your health food store.  I store it in the fridge to keep it fresh longer.

FLAXSEED
Key Nutrients:
ALA fatty acid
Fiber
Vitamins E, B6
Folic Acid
Lignans
Magnesium

You can find a great recipe for my super simple to make granola that features ground flaxseed as a main ingredient here. Eat it for breakfast and I promise you won't be hungry until lunchtime. :)
 
I also like to add about a quarter cup of ground flaxseed to any baked goods I make- breads, pancakes, cookies, birthday cakes, everything!  It's a great way to sneak some nutrition into not-so-good for you foods.

3 comments:

  1. I just made a Nutella banana granola (for a girlfriend brunch) and used about a cup of ground flax seed in the batch-it was so decadent! I'm going to put up a post about it and I'll send you the link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An important functions of your kitchen are to store, prepare and cook food and to perform related tasks including dishwashing.luxpro thermostat locked

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a truly cool post. I love this kitchen. Totally the style would fit me.luxpro thermostat locked

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...